The TRIO SSS program helps students overcome economic, social, and academic boundaries to higher education by assisting with basic college requirements and providing students with needed services and support.
We are invested in your success!
We are a committed team of staff, tutors, and mentors who will help you shape your signature student experience by creating a personalized Academic Success and Career Plan. This plan, combined with the effort of your team and your personal motivation to succeed, will help guide you through your first two years of college.
The TRIO Tutoring Team
Mathew Sheka Jr.
Pete Aimsback Jr.
Service and Resources Provided
Student Support Services is a TRIO program that provides opportunities for academic development, assists students with basic college requirements, and serves to motivate students towards the successful completion of their postsecondary education. The SSS program may also provide grant aid to current SSS participants who are receiving Federal Pell Grants. The goal of SSS is to increase the college retention and graduation rates of its participants and facilitate the process of transition from one level of higher education to the next. The Student Support Services program at SKC serves 230 students from low-income and/or first-generation backgrounds or with disabilities each year.
- Academic Coaching
- Financial Advising
- Career Advising
- Registration & Financial Aid Assistance
- Transfer Assistance
- Campus Visits
- Resource Referrals
- Computer Lab
- Individualized or group tutoring
- Math / English skill assistance.
- Textbook Loan Program
- Health & wellness
- Accepted or enrolled at a Tribal College in the United States
- Identify as woman or Two-Spirit
- 25+ years old by June 1, 2024
- Pell/Snap eligible
- Tribal affiliation (Enrolled or Descendant)
Upcoming TRIO SSS Events
Winter Quarter 2023-2024
- FEB. 8th TRIO LAB OPEN WITH TUTORING AVAILABLE
- Feb. 12-16th Valentines Week-Fun Activities
- Feb. 21st Lab Night-4-6 pm-FOOD!
SPILL THE BEANS
EVERY FRIDAY 10-11AM RDIII RM 142
BRING A FRIEND-ALL STUDENT ARE WELCOME!
Applying to TRIO SSS
TRIO SSS Eligibility Requirements: participants must be an admitted SKC student and meet at least one, and preferably two, of the following three requirements:
- Income eligible as defined by the U.S. Department of Education
- Be from a family from which neither parent or guardian has a bachelor’s degree
- Have a documented disability and be registered with SKC's campus Disability Services.
How to Apply
TRIO SSS Grant Aid
TRIO Student Support Services Grant Aid is made possible through funds from the U.S. Department of Education to eligible TRIO SSS students on an annual basis. The purpose of Grant Aid is to assist in supporting the successful progress toward and achievement of academic goals.
Please attach a typed, 1 to 1 1/2 page essay that includes: (1.5 Space w/12 Font required.)
- A brief introduction
- Your academic major & goals
- How many credits you will need to complete an Associate’s degree and when do you plan to graduate. If applicable, your plans to transfer into a four-year degree program here at SKC or into another institution.
- Your career goals.
- Please tell us your need for this grant.
- Conclude with a paragraph on how the TRIO SSS program has impacted you during your time as an SKC college student.
Department of Education Requirements:
- A student must be in their first 2 years of post-secondary education
- Must be receiving a Federal Pell Grant
- Unmet need is not less than the award amount.
SKC TRIO Student Support Services Requirements:
- Completed Grant Aid application and essay
- Verification form & Personal Success Plan completed for 2023-24 SY
- Attend TWO workshops either Fall or Winter quarters hosted by Chantel Starblanket and/or Sunshine Gaither
- Financial Needs Analysis for Spring Quarter. Must have an unmet need (Get the printout from the Financial Aid Office the first week of classes)
- Students must not have any overdue books or other resources (need to be checked in)
- Students enrolled for the full school year and have not received Grant Aid twice will get first priority
FYI: All applicants will be scored on:
- Unmet Need
- Required workshops/additional consideration for 'Spill the Beans' Presentations
- A completed Grant Aid Application (Essay, Verification Form & Personal Success Plan)
- Utilization of SSS Resources such as Tutoring, Books, Computer Lab
- Overall GPA for the Fall & Winter terms (additional consideration for Associates Degree completion for June 2024
Meet the Team
Apply now and enjoy a unique educational experience that blends Western academic knowledge with Native American perspectives and practices. Benefit from smaller class sizes, personalized attention, and opportunities for hands-on learning and research. Join a supportive community that values cultural diversity and academic excellence, and prepare for a successful career and leadership role in your community. Apply today and start your journey towards a brighter future at SKC!