Filing Complaints at Salish Kootenai College

Process for Filing Complaints

The Salish Kootenai College Catalog provides a process for filing a grievance:  Student Complaints and Grievance Procedure.

Students should follow this stepped procedure to present a complaint or grievance. This includes informal complaints or formal grievances.


In accordance with 34 CFT 668.43, the Confederated Salish & Kootenai Tribes have confirmed that Salish Kootenai College is a “tribally controlled college or university” and has a process to review and appropriately act on complaints concerning the College.  The Tribal Council of the Confederated Salish & Kootenai Tribes has designated the Salish Kootenai College Board of Directors as the entity to which complaints may be directed.


Salish Kootenai College Board of Directors

PO Box 70

Pablo, MT  59855


Complaints concerning broad institutional academic practices, such as those that raise issues regarding an institution’s ability to meet accreditation standards, may be filed with the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities:

Northwest Commission on College and Universities

8060 165th Avenue N.E., Suite 100

Redmond, WA  98052

(425) 558-4224


Complaints concerning consumer protection violations should be directed to the Montana Department of Justice Office of Consumer Protection.



SARA Complaint Process

Salish Kootenai College has been approved for participation in the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA) which provides a streamlined, reciprocity based process for participating post-secondary institutions to gain approval to offer interstate distance education in SARA member states.

Students from outside of Montana enrolling in distance education through SKC who have complaints regarding the College’s application of  SARA standards, including standards related to consumer protection, may lodge their complaint through SKC’s institutional complaint process. Students unsatisfied with the resolution of the institutional process may then lodge their complaint with the Montana Office of the Commissioner of Higher Education in writing at 560 N Park Avenue, Helena MT 59601 or at