September 9, 2020 Board Meeting Minutes
Salish Kootenai College Board of Directors
Board Meeting Minutes
Wednesday, September 9, 2020
Virtual Meeting via Google Meets
Members present: Jim Durglo, Rhonda Whiting, Ronda Howlett, Jennifer Finley, Jamie Courville, Delilah Friedlander (joined the meeting at 9:50 am) and President Sandra Boham.
Members absent: Bob Fouty.
Others present: Dan Durglo, Stacey Sherwin, Audrey Plouffe, Tracie McDonald, Nick Roberts, SKC Foundation; and Anita Big Spring.
Meeting Call to Order
Jim Durglo, SKC Board Chair called the SKC Board of Directors meeting to order at 9:30 am with the opening prayer by Tracie McDonald.
Open for Groups and Individuals
Reports (included in packet) Questions/Comments
August 12, 2020 Meeting Minutes
August 17, 2020 Budget Meeting
Student Services Report
Vice President for Academic Affairs
SKC Foundation Report
Motion by Ronda Howlett to approve the consent agenda which includes the August 12, 2020 board meeting minutes and August 17, 2020 budget meeting minutes. Second by Jamie Courville. Voting 5 For 0 Against, 2 Absent (Bob Fouty and Delilah Friedlander). Motion carried.
President Boham reported on fall quarter updates:
- Application process
- Online student orientation
- Reviewed how to open the Student Union
- Very successful faculty staff (150 employees) in-service this fall.
- Student success coaches for our students
- Purchased and contracted mental health services for our students.
- Computer check out system for students with specialized software.
- IT is working with tribe to beef up hotspots in the community.
- Additional person to clean student union/dorms in the common touch areas and mask protocol followed.
- Students want to feel the college experience but not be unsafe.
- Replacing washer and dryers with industrial strength commercial ones.
- Courses have added sections so we have increased adjunct faculty so the on line courses are better served.
- Increasing a daytime cleaning of our buildings in the maintenance department.
- Faculty and staff COVID protocols since everyone is back on campus.
- Modified work schedule must go through the HR department.
- Conference call on Friday, September 4, 2020 with Vice President Pence and Betsy DeVoe’s regarding the need to open all colleges and universities.
- The SKC Early Learning Center will be COVID safe and meeting the CDC guidelines.
- The Boys and Girls Club from both Polson and Ronan is offering school aged support for our employees. We have hired a couple of retired school teachers that will help the B&G Clubs school age support program.
Tracie McDonald, SKC Dean of Student briefed the board on:
- Student union opening up and can hold up to 12 students at a time.
- Will schedule student clubs to meet at different times in the student union.
- Temperatures will be taken in the buildings every day.
- We are trying to keep the building safe at all times.
Dan Durglo, SKC Vice President for Academic Affairs briefed the board on:
- Felt really good about this fall quarter in-service and a big shout out to the faculty and staff who presented.
- Components of the history and cultural presentations were very well attended.
- Excited about student enrollment (700 plus) but also concerning. We are taking precautions on COVID capacity. We have classrooms labeled with how many students can we serve in one space with one on one instructing.
- Conversations we are having about accreditation and delivering online classes at more fifty percent.
Stacey Sherwin, SKC Office of Institutional Effectiveness briefed the board on the accreditation update. During this pandemic it will most likely be a virtual accreditation visit. The new standards were revised last year and we are working with two new standards. It will be most likely the chair of the accreditation visiting team will virtually meet with the board to ask questions.
Policy 200.20 Discrimination
Motion by Delilah Friedlander to change the Title of Policy 200.20 from Discrimination to Freedom from Discrimination and Harassment. Second by Jamie Courville. Voting 6 For, 0 Against. 1 Absent (Bob Fouty). Motion carried.
Policy 232.00 Position Descriptions
Motion by Rhonda Whiting to add Dean of Students to the Policy 232.00 Position Descriptions. Second by Ronda Howlett. Voting 6 For, 0 Against, 1 Absent (Bob Fouty). Motion carried.
Policy 233.00 Probationary Periods
Motion by Rhonda Whiting to delete “cooperates with fellow employees and supervisors” of Policy 233.00 Probationary Periods. Second by Ronda Howlett. Voting 6 For, 0 Against, 1 Absent (Bob Fouty). Motion carried.
The board held discussion regarding a board retreat this year and will revisit at the October 16, 2020 meeting.
The next SKC Board of Directors meeting is scheduled for Friday, October 16, 2020 at the Ninepipe’s Lodge beginning at noon.
Executive session called at 10:50 am
The September 9, 2020 SKC Board of Directors meeting adjourned at 11:15 am
Anita C. Big Spring
SKC Board Recording Secretary