- All applicants must be admitted to SKC and meet the admission criteria listed below prior to applying to Social Work Program.
- Completion of at least 90 college credits (60 semester credits), including prerequisite Liberal Arts and Social Work courses. Please see the BSW Course Requirements in the Social Work Application packet for the list of pre-requisite courses.
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5.
- Minimum score of 588 on TABE test language component at D9 level. A minimum score of 588 on TABE test language component at D9 level is required for admission into the Social Work Program. If the original TABE was taken more than a year ago, was not required by SKC due to transfer, or the language score was below 588, please make arrangements with the Adult Learning Center, located at the John Peter Paul Building, to take the TABE language component test prior to applying. Obtain a copy of the score after the test and submit it with the rest of the required application materials.
- Demonstration of well-developed writing and language skills.
- Ability to pass the mandatory background check.
- Completion of the Social Work Program application materials.
Social Work Program application materials
- Social Work Program application form.
- A two- to three-page essay (typed and double-spaced) detailing and describing the following: (Please see the BSW application essay evaluation rubric included in the application packet for guidance.)
- Interest in social work. If also applying for Title IV-E stipend, your specific interest in working in the field of child welfare.
- Leadership, strengths, and experience in working with children and families in a tribal community. Please provide examples.
- Commitment to social justice issues, including talents and skills in working with others regardless of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, national origin, marital status, mentally or physically challenging conditions, and political beliefs.
- Personal and professional short- and long-term goals.
- A copy of all official college transcripts.
- A copy of the most recent TABE test (available at the Admissions office)
- If tribal member, a copy of tribal certification
- If working in tribal community with native children and families, a letter from a current employer
- A copy of a background check, if applicable.
- If a declared Pre-Social Work student, a copy of current advising sheet and graduation report. Those can be obtained from your advisor.
You do not need to submit an application if 1) you are entering a freshman or sophomore year as a pre-Social Work major, or 2) you wish to enroll in Social Work non-practice courses as a major in a different field. Application is required from all entering juniors , including current SKC students, wishing to enroll in the 300 and 400 level Social Work practice courses leading to internship and ultimately the BSW degree. Obtain Social Work Program Application packet from SKC Enrollment Services or Social Work Department. Please read the Admission Criteria and all other sections of the SKC Social Work Program Application packet carefully before submitting your application. Please complete all sections of the application form and submit all required materials. Incomplete applications will not be considered Submit the completed application to: Admissions, Salish Kootenai College, P.O. Box 70, Pablo, MT 59855. The application deadline is May 1 st for fall quarter and November 8 th for winter quarter. Because Social Work Program courses are sequential, enrollment for fall quarter is strongly advised. Exceptions can be made based on already completed coursework, transfer courses, etc. If requesting an exception, please consult with the Social Work Department Chair before proceeding with the application.Applications are not accepted for spring quarter entrance. The Social Work Program Admissions Committee will review applications during the second week of April and November. Students will be notified of their acceptance about whether they have been accepted in to the Social Work Program by May 1 st for fall quarter and December 1 st for winter quarter entrance . The committee’s decision may be appealed in accordance with the procedures outlined in the Student Handbook.